A freestanding circular tower located in the centre of Veli Lošinj was built in the 15th century, during the first decades of Venetian domination over the eastern Adriatic coast. With thick walls, small openings and a relatively short height to withstand cannon fire from the enemy ships, it was defending the inhabitants of Veli Lošinj against pirate raids. The battlement of the tower was renovated several times (in 1774 and 1911) and therefore it has not preserved the original shape until the present day. Once a dominant building in the city harbour, at the beginning of the 19th century it loses its military significance and acquires a symbolic one. The Tower appears on the coat of arms of the newly established Municipality of Veli Lošinj. After two centuries of decay, it was thoroughly restored in a period from 1997 to 2000 with new wooden construction between floors, wooden stairs and the roof. Eventually, the Tower was established as a museum and a gallery. Since its opening as the Tower Museum in 2001, this valuable cultural monument has again become a significant part of the life of Veli Lošinj.